Thursday, March 20, 2014

Pentaxim! Where art thou?

If truth being told about me, I have a relatively high threshold for pain than the average woman out there who screams when she sees an injection or faints on seeing blood (even if it is her own!) And honestly I think these drama queens are just rooting for attention from the opposite sex,.so what if it's a lab technician or a ward boy:/ gross!
So when the regime of taking my baby for vaccination started, I was all gung - ho about it till the first timeI heard him screech and scream in pain. He cried for like 2 mins and my tears stopped 5 mins later! So the doc, realising that it's a hyper, neurotic first time mom decided to calm me down than the baby and said ' don't worry,.no fever, no pain' he will be alright in no time.' My antenna shot up, ' are you kidding me?' No. Apparently not. This new all -in -one mother of all vaccines, Pentaxim, is a miracle worker. So you keep boostering it twice and your baby is protected and no fever!
True to his word, after a few grumpy, cranky hours, my baby was himself again.. smiley-grumpy-cranky- smiley! Yup, that's my boy!
Life was going well till gasp! Pentaxim is out of stock! Ok. Don't panic. I don't have four pediatricians on my speed dial for nothing! ( yeah, like you don't) so I call them all up and it's out of stock across all of India. Now panic! In my desperate need to search for the vaccine,.one of.my pediatric said that it is available in Dubai, she also gave me the chemist details when I looked questioningly at her. This was too far fetched. Noone will send me vaccine just because I don't want.my baby to have fever! And everyone adviced me not to delay it or the effect might run out and I would have to start all over again AND without Pentaxim!
I had to give in and that night was one of tge nights I could never forget. My baby was in pain. He had fever. He was miserable ( or what seemed like to me). Calpol wouldn't take him through half the night and he refused to be on his cot. At 3 am, I remember, everyone was trying to pacify him and I was so exhausted I couldn't get out of the bed. Eventually I took him. Sat on my bed.held him tight and softly sang to him. Little by little his stiff body started to loosen up and he drifted into deep sleep.  I did try to put him down but he didn't want it. All he wanted that night was to be snuggled in my arms! That's how I spent the night. I didn't care if my feet were numb or my arms hurt like crazy, he needed ME! This tiny thing needed a shabby, stinky, unkempt woman to ease his pain...
So thank you Pentaxim for not being there. You made me realise my worth as a mother. Oh and your counter part was dirt cheap compared to your-snootiness.
So any of you new moms out there freaking out right now. Just go with it. You will have one difficult night but a lifelong of memory:)

1 comment:

  1. Aww....mommy's snuggles are anyday better than Pentaxim or any other namesake...way to go new mommy!!!
    Mwahh!

    ReplyDelete